We stock a variety of gluten-free flours and mixes to enable you to make any traditional bake gluten-free. We are proud of the quality of our products and wanted to share some recipes which show off the great results they can achieve!
Let’s start with a Christmas classic, mince pies. To make these you need to master gluten-free pastry. We have tried out many different recipes, the best being a pie crust recipe from Bob’s Red Mill. It comes from the fantastic ‘Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook’ which Bob himself signed and gave out from our stand at the 2015 London Allergy and Free From Show. We adapted it slightly for the UK (including converting from cups to grams) and it still turned out perfectly crisp (no soggy bottoms in sight!)
Gluten free baking tip: to avoid waste when blending different flours, seal the leftovers in an air tight bag and store them in your freezer!
Gluten Free Crumble Topped Mince Pies (makes 10)
Ingredients:For the pastry
85g Sorghum Flour
45g Tapioca Starch
30g Millet Flour
½ tsp salt
110g vegetable shortening
1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
For the filling and crumble topping
This recipe uses an almond crumble topping to add another dimension to the bake.
1 jar gluten free mincemeat
25g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
25g soft brown sugar
25g melted butter
1. In a food processor, combine the sorghum flour, millet flour, tapioca starch and salt.
2. Add the vegetable shortening and blitz to a coarse crumbed texture.
3. Sprinkle on the vinegar, and enough water to form a dough when pulsed.
4. Gather into a ball, wrap in Clingfilm and refrigerate for 15minutes.
5. Roll out between two sheets of clingfilm until around 3-4mm thick, cut out 10 circles using a fluted cutter.
6. Place circles into a greased muffin tin, and top with a generous heaped teaspoon of mincemeat.
7. Mix all the crumble ingredients together, and place on top of the mince pie.
8. Bake for 20minutes at 180oC.
Enjoy your bake with a nice glass of mulled wine!