As promised, we continue our season of festive gluten-free baking ideas with our best ever gluten-free gingerbread. This recipe creates soft and chewy gingerbread which do not crumble or fall apart.
We experimented by decorating them with healthy alternatives to sweets. We chose dried apricots, sultanas and cranberries alongside toasted, flaked almonds. They give a more grown up and natural look and taste great.
The recipe is based around Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour, a blend of garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour, potato starch, whole grain white sorghum flour, tapioca flour and fava bean flour. We added xanthan gum to help create rise and create an authentic texture.
Recipe (makes 12-20 depending on cutter size)
350g Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose flour
1tsp xanthan gum
1tsp bicarb soda
3tsp ground ginger
2tsp ground cinnamon
175g soft brown sugar
5tbsp golden syrup
Decorations of your choice
1. Mix the flour, xanthan gum, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the soft brown sugar (making sure any lumps are broken up).
4. Mix in the golden syrup and egg until the mixture forms a dough – add a little water if needed.
5. Knead the dough lightly on a flour dusted surface into a ball.
6. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
7. Roll out to a thickness of 5mm (between two sheets of cling film is easiest!)
8. Cut into shapes, transfer to a lined baking tray, bake for 10-12 minutes until golden in colour.
9. Allow to cool and decorate as you wish!